Dear Mississippi AHA, BA and Support Your Local Brewery Members:
We have an opportunity to legalize homebrewing in the state of Mississippi. Your help is needed now to help make this happen!
Your participation is needed for the success of these bills. Both bills have passed through committee hearings—a first for homebrew legislation in the state—and now await votes before the full House and Senate chambers. Please contact the state Representative and Senator for your district and politely urge them to support the House and Senate bills respectively. You can find information below on how to contact your legislators.
Here are some points you may wish to share with the legislators (see AHA Talking Points for a full list):
- Homebrewing is a long-standing part of American tradition dating back to the early-colonial period. Many of our nation’s founders, including George Washington and Thomas Jefferson were homebrewers.
- The federal government legalized homebrewing in 1978. Homebrewing is now legal in 48 states. Mississippi residents should have the right to legally brew beer at home as do the vast majority of Americans.
- Homebrewers responsibly enjoy beer as an alcoholic beverage.
American Homebrewers Association
Contact Information for Representatives and Senators
Note that the most effective means of getting your message through to Mississippi legislators is with a phone call, the calls will only take a few minutes of your time, but each call has a substantial impact.
- Check the Mississippi House Roster to find the Representative for your district.
- Check the Mississippi Senate Roster to find the Senator for your district.
Last Updated: February 5, 2013