What Jamie and Niko did on the their summer vacation
Having the esteemed pleasure to participate in Sierra Nevada Beer Camp, myself, I can tell you what a thrill it was to be able to collaborate on a beer at the Chico, Calif., brewery with some of my co-workers and other craft beery people from around the country. I am reminded of this excitement when I read this blog post from Ninkasi Brewing who also thrilled to brew with Sierra as part of Sierra Nevada’s Beer Camp Across America project.
Sierra Nevada’s Beer Camp is where a group of lucky beer fans get to travel to the brewery for “a week of in-depth, hands-on learning.” To top it all off, participants brew a beer that will end up being available in their local markets. This time, Sierra reached out to their fellow craft brewers, including Ninkasi, to brew beers that would go into a Beer Camp variety pack.
Ninkasi Brewing’s founding brewer, Jamie Floyd, was inspired by Sierra Nevada while building his own brewing company. Floyd describes Sierra Nevada’s founder, Ken Grossman as, “self-made,” “committed to mastery,” “producing the highest quality beers with the most control,” and all in an “incredibly sustainable way.”
Beer Camp Across America participating breweries include:
- Allagash Brewing Company | Portland, ME
- Ballast Point Brewing Company | San Diego, CA
- Bell’s Brewery, Inc. | Kalamazoo, MI
- Cigar City Brewing, LLC | Tampa, FL
- Firestone Walker Brewing Co. | Paso Robles, CA
- New Glarus Brewing Company | New Glarus, WI
- Oskar Blues Brewing Company | Longmont, CO
- Russian River Brewing Company | Santa Rosa, CA
- Three Floyds Brewing, LLC | Munster, IN
- Victory Brewing Company | Downingtown, PA
- Local brewing community | Asheville, NC
To read more about Ninkasi’s trip to Sierra Nevada, and to find out what type of beer they brewed for the 12-pack, check out Ninkasi Brewing’s blog entry, “Setting Up Camp at Sierra Nevada.”
Look for the collaboration 12-pack to hit stores in the summer of 2014.