The 2012 James Beard Awards semi-finalists list has been released, and more craft brewers than ever before have been nominated for this internationally recognized achievement in the category of Outstanding Wine and Spirits Professionals. Receiving a Beard Award is the highest honor one can receive within the food and beverage industry in America.
“It’s so cool that this year there are more craft brewers that made the list than in any previous years the awards have existed,” said Sam Calagione, founder and president of Dogfish Head Craft Brewed Ales. “It shows that craft beer has truly gained respect in the culinary world.”
Nominated Craft Beer Professionals
- Sam Calagione | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery | Milton, Delaware
- Ken Grossman | Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. | Chico, California
- Jim Koch | Boston Beer Company | Boston, Massachusetts
- Garrett Oliver | Brooklyn Brewery | Brooklyn, New York
- Sean Lilly Wilson | Fullsteam | Durham, North Carolina
- Greg Engert | Beer Director of Neighborhood Restaurant Group
View the complete list of James Beard Awards semi-finalists.
The finalists will be announced on March 19, and the awards ceremony will be held on May 7, at the Avery Fisher Hall at Lincoln Center in New York City.
Meghan Storey, the Brewers Association’s Web Editor, has been lucky enough to work in the world of craft beer for the past four years. She holds a degree in Print Journalism from the University of Mississippi, and has recently relocated to Nashville, TN. She loves to introduce friends to new craft beers and food pairings. Since beginning work on CraftBeer.com she can be found adding beer to just about everything she cooks.
Company: Brewers Association