Beer-Braised Short RibsBy It's a Keeper
- Recipe TypeEntree
- Prep Time15 minutes / cooks 8 - 10 hours
Not only are these short ribs made with your favorite American lager delicious, they're made in the crock-pot and can be cooked overnight or while you're at work. Serve with mashed potatoes and you've got a new weeknight favorite!
- 3 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 3 to 3-1/2 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 ounces American lager
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp beef bouillon granules
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- To make these crock-pot short ribs, place onions in a 5-qt. crock-pot; add ribs and bay leaf.
- Combine the American lager, brown sugar, mustard, tomato paste, thyme, bouillon, salt and pepper. Pour over meat. Cover and cook on low for 8 - 10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer juices to a small saucepan.
- Bring liquid to a boil. Combine flour and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.