Beer Braised Short RibsBy It's a Keeper
- Recipe TypeEntree
- Prep Time15 minutes / cooks 8 - 10 hours
Not only are these short ribs delicious, they're made in the crock-pot and can be cooked overnight or while you're at work. Serve with mashed potatoes and you've got a new weeknight favorite!
- 3 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 3 to 3-1/2 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 ounces beer
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp beef bouillon granules
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Place onions in a 5-qt. crock-pot; add ribs and bay leaf. Combine the beer, brown sugar, mustard, tomato paste, thyme, bouillon, salt and pepper. Pour over meat. Cover and cook on low for 8 - 10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Discard bay leaf. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer juices to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine flour and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
In an effort to organize her recipes, Christina, author of the blog It's a Keeper, is strategically cooking each recipe that she has saved over the years. Using her husband and son as "guinea pigs" she shares the good and bad aspects of each of each recipe and finally decides if it's a keeper.