Jessica Rice of Beer and Baking shares her recipe for beer pop-tarts made with nutella, pistachios and your favorite Belgian-style golden strong ale.
- 2 cups AP Flour
- 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter (cold, cut into small cubes)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons of Belgian-style golden strong ale
- 1 cup unsalted pistachios, finely crushed
- 2-3 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup Belgian-style golden strong ale
- crushed pieces of pistachios to garnish
- Whisk together flour, sugar and salt. Incorporate the cold butter either with a food processor until sandy, or using your hands until the mix comes together. Whisk egg and beer together and start adding to the flour mixture in quantities of a teaspoon until well incorporated. You might not need all the liquid.
- Once your dough has come together, and is not falling apart or too wet, split in half and wrap in plastic wrap (forming two discs) and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes until completely chilled.
- Allow your dough to come up to temp a little at room temp, sitting on your kitchen counter for like 10 minutes, then roll out on a well-floured surface to about 1/4 inch thickness. Cut dough into rectangles using a pizza cutter or cookie cutter, and place on a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silpat. Fill the cut dough with Nutella (or any filling of choice) and press the sides together with a fork. Poke the top of the pop-tart with a toothpick so air can escape while cooking and place in the freezer to set for about 15 minutes.
- Heat your oven to 350°F and bake for 20 minutes rotating once, or until golden brown. Allow to cool completely.
- Crush the pistachios with either a food processor or with a blender, not enough to make peanut butter, but enough to be able to make a nut dust. Filter the bigger pieces from the finely ground nut dust, and save the nut dust to incorporate with the powdered sugar. Add beer to make the frosting. You might want to add more beer for a looser frosting or less for a thicker frosting, depending on preference.
- Spoon frosting over cooled beer pop-tarts and sprinkle with crushed pistachio nuts for garnish. Allow frosting to set-up, for at least 3o minutes. Keep in airtight containers.