Boundary Bay Barley Wine GelatoBy Boundary Bay Brewery
- Recipe TypeDessert
- Prep Time20-30 minutes
Barley wine gelato is a delightful twist on an Italian tradition. Zabaglione gelato is made with Marsala (fortified wine). In this recipe, we replaced Marsala with Old Bounder Barley Wine.
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 Tbsp Old Bounder Barley wine
- 2 Tbsp dark rum
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- To make this barley wine gelato, whisk yolks and sugar in medium bowl until thick, about 2 minutes.
- Heat milk and cream in medium saucepan over medium heat until mixture bubbles at edges.
- Gradually whisk hot milk mixture into yolk mixture; return to saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat until custard leaves path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across and temperature registers 170°F, about 6 minutes.
- Immediately pour custard through sieve (you only have to do this if there are chunks in your cream) and set over another medium bowl.
- Stir Old Bounder barley wine, rum, and vanilla into custard. Cover; refrigerate at least 3 hours.
- Process custard in ice cream maker, follow manufacturer's instructions, if you have no instructions for your ice cream maker, process for about 50 minutes.
- Transfer gelato to container. Cover and freeze until firm, at least 6 hours. (Can be made 2 days ahead.) Keep frozen.