Cheddar-Ale SoupBy Elise Loschiavo
- Recipe TypeEntree
- Prep Time40 minutes
Made with Sebago Brewing Company’s fall seasonal beer, Local Harvest Ale, this blend of veggies and harvest inspired spices is sure to satisfy and warm the soul. Local Harvest Ale is brewed with Maine-grown hops and barley. Taste the season!
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups carrot, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 ounces Sebago Brewing Company Local Harvest Ale
- 6 ounces half & half
- 1 quart water or vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1 1/2 tsp dried chives
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp. black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 dashes Tabasco
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Melt butter over medium heat in a 4 quart pot.
- Add onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. Sauté for 12-15 minutes or until very tender.
- Add paprika, cayenne, sage, chives, cinnamon and coriander. Cook 1 minute.
- Add flour and mix thoroughly. Cook 4 minutes.
- Whisk in beer, half & half and water/stock. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Stir in cheddar cheese.
- Remove from heat. Purée on low speed until smooth.
- Add cider vinegar and Tabasco. Season with salt and pepper to taste.