Corrupted Beer Cheese SoupBy Intoxicating Eats
- Recipe TypeEntree
- Prep Time30 minutes
This beer cheese soup made with DC Brau's The Corruption India Pale Ale is not for the faint of hop heart! Try adding different toppings like spicy popcorn, croutons, bacon or anything that goes with cheese—which is everything!
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 1 medium-large carrot
- 2-3 celery stalks
- 1 medium-large onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups broth
- 2 cups beer or 12-oz. is fine* (I used DC Brau's The Corruption India Pale Ale.)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 4 cups cheese (I used sharp cheddar. Blue cheese would be an interesting addition if you are using an IPA.) *I used two full cups because I had a growler full of beer. If you're making this soup from a bottle or canned beer, 12-oz. is plenty. Also, this soup can easily be made with almost any style of beer: Pale Ale, Lager, Stout, seasonals—whatever flavor you want to impart. If you don't groove on IPAs, it's all good. I just love me some hops!
- Chop the carrots, celery, and onion and saute over medium heat until completely cooked and soft. While sauteing, season it up with salt and pepper.
- Mince the garlic, add to the other vegetables and saute a minute at most. Add the flour and stir to coat all of the vegetables. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the broth, slowly at first, whisking the entire time. Pour in the beer and milk. Let the mixture simmer for about ten minutes, whisking/stirring occasionally as needed.
- Turn the heat down to low. Fish out the bay leaves. Add the worchestershire sauce and mustard.
- Add the cheese one cup at a time, stirring and melting the cheese entirely before adding any more. Check for seasoning.
- Garnish with spicy popcorn like I did, or croutons, bacon, or whatever you'd like!
There's just something alluring about a cupcake made with red wine, chicken with a tequila marinade, whiskey glazes, anglaises—why make buttercream when you can make Bailey’s buttercream? Intoxicating Eats is a chronicle of the adventures of one home chef as she makes her way through the culinary world of tasty beverages!