IPA Beer Cheese SoupBy Intoxicating Eats
- Recipe TypeEntree
- Prep Time30 minutes
This IPA beer cheese soup made with DC Brau's The Corruption India pale ale is not for the faint of hop heart! Try adding different toppings like spicy popcorn, croutons, bacon or anything that goes with cheese, which is everything!
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium-large carrot
- 2-3 celery stalks
- 1 medium-large onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups broth
- 12-oz. IPA (I used DC Brau's The Corruption India Pale Ale.)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp mustard
- 4 cups cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
- To make this beer cheese soup, chop the carrots, celery, and onion and sauté over medium heat until completely cooked and soft. While sautéing, season it up with salt and pepper.
- Mince the garlic, add to the other vegetables and sauté a minute at most. Add the flour and stir to coat all of the vegetables. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the broth, slowly at first, whisking the entire time. Pour in the IPA and milk. Let the mixture simmer for about 10 minutes, whisking/stirring occasionally as needed.
- Turn the heat down to low. Fish out the bay leaves. Add the Worcestershire sauce and mustard.
- Add the cheese one cup at a time, stirring and melting the cheese entirely before adding any more. Check for seasoning.
- Garnish with spicy popcorn like I did, or croutons, bacon or whatever you'd like!