- Recipe TypeAppetizer
- Prep Time30 minutes + wonton assembly
Manzanita Brewing Company's Blonde is a kolsch-style ale with light hoppiness and a clean, crisp character that pairs well with more subtle flavors like those in fresh herbs and the crispy crust of these crab-stuffed wontons.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced stewed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup carrots, minced
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 3/4 cup Manzanita Blonde Ale
- 16 ounces crabmeat (or imitation crabmeat)
- 1/2 cup Manzanita Blonde Ale
- 1 cup Italian cheese (I like Asiago, Romano, or Parmesan)
- 1/2 cup potato flakes
- Dash of salt and pepper
- 1 squeeze lemon
- 1 package wonton wrappers
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup olive oil, for frying
- 1/2 lemon
- Chopped chives
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat the olive oil and sauté the garlic and onion until golden brown.
- Stir in the canned tomatoes, parsley, basil, oregano, salt, crushed red pepper, sugar, paprika, pepper, and carrots.
- Stir and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the beer and half-and-half.
- Remove from heat and purée with an immersion blender (or in a blender) to desired thickness.
- Return sauce to heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
In large mixing bowl, combine crabmeat, beer, cheese, potato, salt, pepper, and lemon. Mix thoroughly.
- Place a tablespoon of the mixture in the center of each wonton square.
- Wet the edges of each wonton square with egg white, fold diagonally, and pinch the edges (pressing down with a fork works well).
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet and fry the wontons until golden brown on both sides.
Arrange wontons on a plate and squeeze a bit of lemon on them.
- Top wontons with sauce, or serve sauce on the side as a dipping sauce.
- Garnish with chives.