Drunken Pale Ale MusselsBy Chase Doelling
- Recipe TypeEntree
- Prep Time20 minutes
Adding an American pale ale to this recipe for mussels adds a delightful bitterness and brings out the flavor of the shellfish.
- 12 oz. pale ale
- 4 lbs mussels, cleaned
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup leeks, chopped diced
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 1/4 cup shallots, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Italian flat parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp of unsalted butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add olive oil when hot.
- Add the leeks, celery, shallots, salt and pepper to taste and sauté until the shallots are soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add the mussels and American pale ale cover and steam for about 3 minutes or until the mussels open. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Remove the opened mussels from the broth. Whisk in the butter and Dijon mustard.
- Pour the mussels into a serving bowl, spoon the liquid back over the mussels and sprinkle with parsley.