Dry Stout Shepherd’s PieBy The Hungry Housewife
- Recipe TypeEntree
- Prep Time20 minutes prep/20 minutes cook time
- Yield4 - 6
Dry stout serves as the perfect backbone for this hearty Shepherd's Pie from The Hungry Housewife.
- 1 ½ pounds organic ground beef 80/20
- 1 (1lb) bag frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 2 packets of dry brown gravy mix
- 1 medium onion
- Olive oil
- 2 bottles Dry Stout
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 pounds baking potatoes
- ¼- ½ cup milk
- 1 stick butter
- Salt and pepper
- Potato Topping
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until fork tender.
- Drain completely and place back in pot so all of the water evaporates.
- In a medium mixing bowl add butter and potatoes.
- Mash until smooth, while adding the milk for a medium consistency.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Cook and drain ground beef.
- Place drained beef back in skillet and add 1 bottle of Dry Stout. Guinness was used in original recipe.
- Cook until beer has almost cooked out.
- Add tomato paste to meat
- In a medium sauce pan, prepare the gravy according to package directions, using beer for half the liquid called for.
- Pour gravy into meat mixture. And cook all together until you get a nice thick gravy.
- Vegetable Filling
- In medium skillet with olive oil sauté onions until soft and translucent.
- Add mixed vegetables to the onions and cook until warm throughout.
- In a 2 quart baking dish, add meat as bottom layer, next add vegetables, and then add the mashed potatoes. Top with shredded cheese.
- Cook at 375°F for about 20 minutes, or until cheese in nice and bubbly.