Honey and Beer Spice CakeBy Joy the Baker
- Recipe TypeDessert
- Prep Time45-50 minutes
Joy the Baker brings us a delicious recipe for honey and beer spice cake made with American Pale Ale, which she serves with barely sweetened whipped cream and salty roasted nuts.
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp all-spice
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup honey
- 12 ounces (1 1/2 cups) pale ale
- To make this honey and beer spice cake, start by preheating the oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 9×13-inch (don’t use anything smaller, seriously) pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fit with a paddle attachment, cream together butter, sugars, spices and lemon zest. Mixture may look crumbly, but mix for about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition.
- Beat in the lemon juice and honey.
- Add the flour mixture and pale ale. Alternating. First add a third of the flour mixture, mix. Add half of the beer, mix. Add the second third of flour, the rest of the beer. Mix. Then finally add the last third of the flour. Beat the batter on high speed for 30 seconds. The batter will be loose and smooth.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake in the upper third of the oven for 45 - 50 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Serve with barely sweetened whipped cream and salty roasted nuts.