- Recipe TypeAppetizer
- Prep Time30 minutes
Enjoy this delicious dish of weisse beer steamed clams with garlic butter, red peppers and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
- 15 Manila clams
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp minced shallots
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 red pepper, julienned
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup German-style hefeweizen
- 1 oz Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 Tbsp green onion, chopped
- To make hefeweizen beer steamed clams, scrub clam shells well under cold water.
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot on low heat, steam the clams in water or weisse beer. When clams are half opened (after 4 or 5 minutes), drain off the liquid and add the butter, garlic, shallots, and salt and pepper. Cover the pot and shake to distribute ingredients evenly.
- Add fresh basil and sauté until all of the clams are fully open. (Remember to discard any that do not open.) Turn the heat off and add the weisse beer, again giving the pot a shake to distribute. Carefully sprinkle parmesan cheese in each clam and allow it to melt. Garnish with green onion and serve immediately.
- These clams are steamed slowly over a low heat giving them a beautifully fragrant appeal as all of the ingredients open up aromatically.
- Recipe by The Wynkoop Brewing Co., Denver, CO, USA. Reprinted from Stephen Beaumont's Brewpub Cookbook by Stephen Beaumont. © 1998 Brewers Publications. All rights reserved.