- Recipe TypeAppetizer
- Prep Time30 minutes
Enjoy this delicious dish of weisse beer steamed clams with garlic butter, red peppers and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
- 15 Manila clams
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp minced shallots
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 red pepper, julienned
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup German-style hefeweizen
- 1 oz Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 Tbsp green onion, chopped
- To make these beer-steamed clams, scrub clam shells well under cold water.
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot on low heat, steam the clams in water or hefeweizen.
- When clams are half opened (after 4 or 5 minutes), drain off the liquid and add the butter, garlic, shallots, and salt and pepper.
- Cover the pot and shake to distribute ingredients evenly.
- Add fresh basil and sauté until all of the clams are fully open. (Remember to discard any that do not open.)
- Turn the heat off and add the hefeweizen, again giving the pot a shake to distribute. Carefully sprinkle Parmesan cheese in each clam and allow it to melt. Garnish with green onion and serve immediately.
- These clams are steamed slowly over a low heat giving them a beautifully fragrant appeal as all of the ingredients open up aromatically.