Piquillo Pepper and Aged white cheddarBy Leonardo Maurelli III
- Recipe TypeAppetizer
- Prep Time1.5 hours
- Yield5 to 6 people
A new twist on a southern standard, tasty and fun for those summer gatherings with friends and cold beer!
- 14 oz of roasted piquillo peppes ( you can purchase pre-roasted )3 cups of aged white cheddar cheese
- 2 cups of aioli (homemade or if you must, buy olive oil mayonnaise and add roasted garlic)
- 1 tsbp of finely minced parsley
- cracked black pepper and sea salt to taste
- 1 large loaf of kalamata olive loaf
- To make a quick home made aioli , place 2 entire garlic bulbs, peeled and crushed into 4 cups of extra virgin olive oil. Roast , covered with aluminum foil in a pan for 30 minutes @ 350. Remove pan from oven and allow to cool, drain oil and remove roasted garlic for later use. In a food proccesor add 4 to 5 egg yolks, careful not to add whites, squeese the juice of 1/2 lemon, careful not to add seeds, and beging to run processor, in a steady and thin stream slowly add the roasted garlic olive oil , until it creates an emulsion, or looks like a mayonnaise. Add salt and cracked pepper.
- If this is too much, simply purchase olive oil mayonnaise, add lemon juice and 2 to 3 roasted garlic cloves minced, S&P and you now have a quick aioli.
- In a food preocessor , pulse the piquillo peppers until coarlsey chopped. Place in a perforated pan or in a strainer to allow for extra liquid to drain .Set aside for 10 to 15 minutes. Shred Aged white cheddar into a mixing bowl, you may want to shred some extra in case you want pimento a little cheesier! In a mixing bowl add the cheese, the piquillo peppers and slowly add the aioli, be careful not to add to much , as this should be a delicate spread and it should not be too liquid. , slowly fold the minced parsley, Add Cracked black pepper and Sea salt. Place in the refrigerator to cool. Slice the Kalamata olive loaf into thin slices and toast in an oven @320 for about 10 minutes.
- Crack open some beers, Serve and enjoy in great company. Cheers!