Salted Beer CaramelsBy Becky's Blissful Bakery
- Recipe TypeDessert
- Prep Time20 minutes
- Yield24 - 30
These easy beer caramels from Becky's Blissful Bakery in Pewaukee, Wis., are a perfect sweet and salty treat for summer. For a little extra crunch, a pretzel topping can be added.
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 12 oz. bottle of your favorite beer (ESB or similar style preferred—or experiment!)
- Sea salt
- Optional garnish: pretzels
- To make the beer caramels, melt butter and brown sugar together in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Slowly add beer, syrup then milk while stirring constantly.
- Cook caramels to 240°F. Do not stop stirring once milk is added or caramels will scorch.
- Once you reach 240°F, take mixture off of heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour mixture into 9x13 pan lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle sea salt on top of hot caramels. Let caramels set until firm enough to cut.
- Optional: lay pretzels on top of warm caramels for an added salty crunch.
- Learn more about the growing number of small, local bakers and confectioners who are turning to craft beer as a flavorful ingredient in their goods in "Cupcakes and Cookies and Craft Beer—Oh My!" by Lisa Morrison.