Sea-Salted Peanut Butter Brownie BarsBy CookingAndBeer.com
- Recipe TypeDessert
- Prep Time15 minutes (can be cooled overnight)
- Yield6-8 brownies
Chocolate and stout is a classic combo, but these brownies from Cooking & Beer go one delicious step further with a creamy peanut butter frosting. The brilliant addition of a bit of sea salt makes the sweet flavors pop! Enjoy!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature, divided + 1 tablespoon
- ½ cup white granulated sugar
- ½ cup honey
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup brown ale
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract + 1 teaspoon
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 package (12 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- coarse white sea salt for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper with a non stick spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, with paddle attachment fixer, cream together ½ cup of butter, sugar and honey. Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix to combine completely after each one. Add the beer and a tablespoon of vanilla extract. Beat until creamy and all ingredients are completely incorporate.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, flour, fine sea salt and baking powder. In ½ cup increments, add the dry ingredient into the wet. Mix until completely combined.
- Pour the brownie batter into your prepared dish and bake for about 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool completely (about 1 hour).
- Meanwhile, prepare your peanut butter filling. In the bowl of your stand mixer (with paddle attachment fixed) cream together the remaining ½ cup of softened butter and the peanut butter. Once smooth, slowly mix in the confectioners sugar until creamy and incorporated. Add in the cinnamon, nutmeg, and heavy cream.
- Once the brownies have cooled, spread the peanut butter filling on top of the brownies (all the while leaving the brownies in the baking dish). Cover and refrigerate over night or until peanut butter has slightly hardened.
- Once cooled and slightly hardened, remove from the refrigerator, and remove the parchment paper (along with the brownies) from the baking dish. Transfer to a cutting board. In a small dish, melt your semi-sweet chocolate chips along with a tablespoon of butter via the microwave oven. In increments of 30 seconds, stir in between each increment until all of the chips have melted.
- Drizzle the brownies with the melted chocolate (optional) and shake some coarse sea salt on top. Cut the brownies into 1½ in x 1½ in squares and keep refrigerated or store at room temperature until ready to serve. Enjoy!
When Zach moved from Pasadena, California and Justine from “the middle of nowhere” New Jersey to central Colorado, they were able to explore the world of food a little bit better. They created Cooking & Beer to share our favorite ideas and recipes for all to enjoy. The central Colorado area has brought us a much broader world of sustainable growing practices and new ingredients, including new and better craft beer options! They decided that the best way to explore new food and beer, was to pair them together!