- Recipe TypeAppetizer
- Prep Time10 mins
This recipe for bbq meatballs calls for Sprecher Brewing Co.’s root beer BBQ sauce, but you can substitute any pop-inspired sauce. It makes all the difference in flavor of this dish. The recipe yields a lot of meatballs, so it’s a great choice for a large gathering.
- 16 oz Sprecher Brewing Co.’s Doppelbock, or similar doppelbock
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup Sprecher root beer BBQ sauce (or 1/4 cup rootbeer, 1/4 cup sweet BBQ sauce)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 pounds frozen cocktail meatballs
- To make these bbq meatballs, combine the doppelbock, ketchup, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a slow cooker. Add the meatballs and stir gently to make sure they are covered with the sauce (add more beer if necessary).
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low heat for six to eight hours. Halfway through cooking, check to see if you need to add more beer.
- Serve the meatballs on a large platter with toothpicks. Place the extra sauce in a small bowl for dipping.