Spaghetti Squash Latkes””By Boundary Bay Brewery
- Recipe TypeAppetizer
- Prep Time2 hours
Boundary Bay Brewery participated in the Great Squash Smackdown at our local farmers market. These squash "latkes" were our entry in the appetizer category. Enjoy!
- 1 spaghetti squash, cut in half lengthwise, with the seeds removed.
- 2 Yukon Gold potatoes, shredded
- 1 small shallot, minced
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 5 chives, minced
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Canola or vegetable oil for frying
- 2 bowls of cold water
- 2 clean kitchen towels
- 1. Roast spaghetti squash at 375ºF for about 45 minutes, or until tender. Let cool until you can handle easily without burning your hands. With a fork, pull the flesh from the squash so it separates into ‘spaghetti’. Put all the strands into a bowl of cold water and stir to separate. When cold, strain and wrap in a kitchen towel. Twist until all liquid has been removed.
- 2. Grate the potatoes and place in the other bowl of cold water until most of the starch has seeped out to the bottom of the bowl. This will take about 30 minutes. Strain, and follow the same process of drying as with the squash.
- 3. Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well mixed, and form into patties. Heat the oil until a small amount dropped into the oil immediately bubbles and starts cooking. Cook until golden-brown on both sides. This will take about 2-4 minutes.
- Serve with crème fraîche and apple compote or applesauce.