Tomato Basil Cider SoupBy Intoxicating Eats
- Recipe TypeEntree
- Prep Time40 minutes
Soup season has arrived, and makes for an excellent way to bring craft beer to the dinner table. Janet, author of the blog Intoxicating Eats, shares her recipe for a hearty tomato basil soup made with Harpoon Brewery's Pumpkin Cider.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 large carrots (or estimated baby carrot equivalent), diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2-2 pounds tomatoes, chopped with juices reserved
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tbsp minced basil
- 4 cups stock
- 1 1/2 cups hard cider (1 12 oz. bottle)
- salt and pepper
- basil to garnish
- Heat a soup pot over medium heat with the butter and olive oil.
- Saute chopped onion and carrots until softened, 6-8 minutes and season them with salt and pepper.
- Add garlic cloves and saute an additional minute. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, the bay leaf and basil.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, then stir in stock and cider. Simmer 30 minutes and adjust seasonings.
- Puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a counter blender or food processor.
- Garnish with additional basil leaves.