Rob Fullmer, half of the duo who bring you BeerPHXation.com, recently gave a presentation on beer and food pairing at an Ignite Phoenix event. During the event, 18 presenters were given five minutes to speak on diverse topics and Rob took on the task of introducing pairing basics.
Rob is currently a moderator at Homebrewtalk.com, a board member of the Arizona Society of Homebrewers, and a recognized BJCP beer judge. Rob is passionate about spreading the culture of beer to Phoenix.
Helpful Tips from Rob
- You’re paying restaurants for a dining experience; this should extend to all facets of your meal.
- Encourage restaurants to keep their beer selection on a par with the wine and main courses.
- Request that they post beer menus online.
- Ask them to recommend beers to pair with your foods.
- Remind them that beer is a local ingredient.
- Don’t pick your favorite beer and expect it to match your entree, select a beer that will complement your meal.
- If you are a hophead, put down the IPA for awhile and enjoy something maltier for a change.
- Stop drinking green bottle beer; you’re paying a premium for an average beer.
Last Updated: December 2, 2010