Award-winning brewery giving fans opportunities to design its beer bottles and add unique artistic flair to its San Diego-based tasting room
San Diego, California (April 4, 2016) — At AleSmith Brewing Company, art and craft-beer go hand-in-hand. It’s the brewer’s art that has birthed so many world-class, award-winning ales for the San Diego-based brewery. This spring, AleSmith will provide a variety of blank canvasses for its fans to express their creativity with a pair of unique art initiatives taking place online and at the company’s tasting room, starting with the Evil Dead Red Ale Bottle Art Contest followed by a Wall-to-Wall Tasting Room Art Takeover.
Evil Dead Red Ale has been a vastly popular autumn seasonal for AleSmith dating back to 1998. It will continue to harken the arrival of fall with its intense hop aromas and caramely malt backbone, but this year each 22-ounce bottle will bear original artwork. What will the design look like? That’s up to the artists at-large who submit their concepts to AleSmith, where all entries will be judged to determine the label that best suits this eerily delicious beer celebrating All Hallows’ Eve and the undead.
“With zombies and walkers being so en vogue these days, we expect to be overrun with stunning, bottle-worthy submissions like delectably plump survivors of the apocalypse cornered by a mob of flesh-seeking, reanimated corpses,” says AleSmith Marketing Manager Brandon Hernández. “We’ve shared our art for brewing with fans for 20 years, so it’s exciting to turn the tables and allow AleSmith enthusiasts to share their art with us.”
Artists may submit as many entries as they like to email@example.com from April 8 to May 9. The criteria for all entries is as follows. Each design must:
- Be produced using Adobe Illustrator and submitted in an Adobe PDF file no larger than 3MB
- Fit on the front of the bottle in an area three (3) inches wide by three-and-a-half (3½) inches tall
- Include the beer name “Evil Dead Red Ale” or “Evil Dead Red”
- Consist of exactly two (2) colors matching the beer’s existing red-and-gray color scheme
- Be free of inappropriate language, vulgarity or unsavory imagery
The winning entry and artist will be announced during American Craft Beer Week (May 16-22). The winning artist’s name and signature will be included on the bottle and the winner will receive a case of AleSmith Evil Dead Red Ale to show off to friends and family, use as decorations for their private studios or donate to the Smithsonian.
Back at AleSmith’s Tasting Room (9990 AleSmith Court—formerly Empire Street, San Diego, CA), temporary walls have been erected to shield customers from construction of the official Tony Gwynn Museum, a memorial paying tribute to the Major League Baseball Hall of Famer. Fans are invited to sign-up to anoint a section of the temporary wall with unique artwork to help spruce up the sampling space until the museum opens this summer. Again, the only limitations are those of appropriateness, so AleSmith staff will need to be briefed on what the artist intends to design before it becomes a reality, but such a boundless opportunity for expression hasn’t existed since you were left unsupervised with a white wall and a full box of crayons. Cheers to art and the brewer’s art colliding in such fun and public ways!
# # #
AleSmith Evil Dead Red Ale Bottle Art Contest
Submission Period: April 8-May 9, 2016
Winner Announcement: During American Craft Beer Week, May 16-22, 2016
Rules & Specifications
- Submit all entries to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Artists may submit as many entries as they like
- All entries must be produced using Adobe Illustrator and submitted in an Adobe PDF file no larger than 3MB
- All entries must fit on the front of the bottle in an area three (3) inches wide by three-and-a-half (3½) inches tall (see diagram at right)
- All entries must include the beer name “Evil Dead Red Ale” or “Evil Dead Red”
- All entries must consist of exactly two (2) colors matching the beer’s existing red-and-gray color scheme
- All entries must be free of inappropriate language, vulgarity or unsavory imagery (AleSmith will determine what fits within its appropriateness guidelines)
- By submitting artwork, participants acknowledge that their design instantly becomes the property of AleSmith Brewing Company, which reserves the right to share submitted artwork via social media and other public communication platforms in relation to this competition. No form of compensation beyond the grand prize (a case of AleSmith Evil Dead Red Ale bottles with the winner’s name and signature printed on them) will be provided to the winner or any other participant.
# # #
ABOUT ALESMITH BREWING COMPANY: Forged in 1995, AleSmith has been recognized by consumers and critics alike as one of the world’s foremost craft brewing companies behind accolades that include medals won at prestigious national and international beer competitions as well as being named Small Brewing Company of the Year at the Great American Beer Festival. AleSmith is on the verge of celebrating its 21st year in business and recently expanded, moving into a 105,500-square-foot, state-of-the-art brewery featuring a new 80-barrel brewing system that will allow the company to increase its production ten-fold. The expansion also included constructive of the largest brewery tasting room on the West Coast (25,000 square feet) with an outdoor beer garden that will soon be joined by a second-story indoor-outdoor mezzanine, private rooms and a museum dedicated to San Diego Padres legend Tony Gwynn. AleSmith’s line of acclaimed beers is distributed in 20 U.S. states and five countries. The company’s social media channels include Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (@AleSmithBrewing), and its official website URL is—http://www.alesmith.com.