More Than 2 Million Crowns for a Cure Headed to Stores
Charlotte, N.C. – Pints for Prostates is partnering with 51 craft brewers across the United States to use the everyday, run of the mill bottle cap to start conversations about a critical men’s issue and encourage guys to take charge of their health.
As part of Crowns for a Cure 2017, Pints for Prostates is distributing more than 2 million bottle caps – known in the beverage trade as crowns – to craft brewers around the country to use on beer they package for distribution during September, which is National Prostate Cancer Awareness Month. The crowns feature the Pints for Prostates logo on the outside, with messages under the caps designed to encourage men to learn more about the importance of regular health screenings.
“Pints for Prostates has the support of some great breweries to put a reminder in the hands of men about a major health issue,” said Rick Lyke, a prostate cancer survivor who started Pints for Prostates in 2008 after successful treatment for the disease. “Crowns for a Cure will start thousands of conversations and encourage guys to talk with their doctors about scheduling health screenings.”
Each brewery taking part in the program is receiving between 10,000 to 70,000 Pints for Prostates crowns. The brewers from 27 states will use the caps in bottling runs and distribute the beer to retail accounts during September.
Pints for Prostates 2017 Crowns for a Cure participating breweries include:
- Alamo Beer Co., San Antonio, Texas
- AleSmith Brewery, San Diego, Calif.
- Bayou Teche Brewing, Arnaudville, La.
- Bear Republic Brewing, Healdsburg, Calif.
- Bell’s Brewery, Comstock, Mich.
- Big Sky Brewing, Missoula, Mont.
- Boston Beer, Boston, Mass.
- Brothers Craft Brewing, Harrisonburg, Va.
- Coronado Brewing, San Diego, Calif.
- D9 Brewing, Cornelius, N.C.
- Devils Backbone Brewing, Lexington, Va.
- Double Barley Brewing, Smithfield, N.C.
- DuClaw Brewing, Baltimore, Md.
- Durty Bull Brewing, Durham, N.C.
- Ecliptic Brewing, Portland, Ore.
- Empire Brewing, Cazenovia, N.Y.
- Flying Fish Brewing, Somerdale, N.J.
- Foothills Brewing, Winston-Salem, N.C.
- Founders Brewing, Grand Rapids, Mich.
- Funky Buddha Brewery, Oakland Park, Fla.
- Grand Teton Brewing, Victor, Idaho
- Great Basin Brewing, Reno, Nev.
- Hardywood Park Craft Brewery, Richmond, Va.
- Heavy Seas Beer, Baltimore, Md.
- Hoppin’ Frog Brewing, Akron, Ohio
- Laughing Dog Brewing, Ponderay, Idaho
- Lazy Magnolia Brewing, Kiln, Miss.
- Middle Ages Brewing, Syracuse, N.Y.
- Mill Stream Brewing, Amana, Iowa
- MKE Brewing, Milwaukee, Wisc.
- Mother Earth Brewing, Kinston, N.C.
- New Holland Brewing, Holland, Mich.
- Olde Hickory Brewery, Hickory, N.C.
- The Olde Mecklenburg Brewery, Charlotte, N.C.
- Penn Brewery, Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Pike Brewing, Seattle, Wash.
- Prairie Artisan Ales, Krebs, Okla.
- Rhinegeist Brewery, Cincinnati, Ohio
- RJ Rockers Brewing, Spartanburg, S.C.
- Rogue Ales, Newport, Ore.
- Saint Arnold Brewing, Houston, Texas
- Schlafly Beer, St. Louis, Mo.
- Smuttynose Brewing, Hampton, N.H.
- Southern Tier Brewing, Lakewood, N.Y.
- Thirsty Dog Brewing, Akron, Ohio
- Toppling Goliath Brewing, Decorah, Iowa
- Uinta Brewing, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Victory Brewing, Downington, Pa.
- Verboten Brewing, Loveland, Colo.
- Weyerbacher Brewing, Easton, Pa.
- Wormtown Brewery, Worcester, Mass.
“The craft beer community is very supportive of the Pints for Prostates campaign and has generously assisted us in getting our message to millions of men over the last nine years. What we have been able to accomplish really starts and ends with brewers and beer fans,” Lyke said. “If Pints for Prostates Crowns for as Cure reaches just one guy who benefits from a prostate health screening, then the effort will be a huge success.”
Beer drinkers who spot Pints for Prostates crowns are encouraged to help spread the word by tagging photos on social media with #CrownsforaCure and @pints4prostates, along with the brewery name and location where the bottle caps were found.
Homebrewers who want to take part in Crowns for a Cure can do so by ordering bottle caps from Northern Brewer, which partnered with Pints for Prostates earlier this year on Homebrew Strong, an awareness building effort which includes a special brewing kit.
Pints for Prostates is a 501(c)3 non-profit charity and funds raised by the group go towards its awareness mission and help to fund the education and support programs of the Us TOO International Prostate Cancer Education and Support Network, and free prostates cancer screening programs provided by the Prostate Conditions Education Council.
About Pints for Prostates
Pints for Prostates reaches men through the universal language of beer to encourage them to take charge of their health. The group was founded by prostate cancer survivor and beer writer Rick Lyke in 2008. The grassroots effort raises awareness among men about the importance of regular men’s health screenings by making appearances at beer festivals, social networking and pro bono advertising. According to the National Cancer Institute, approximately 161,000 new prostate cancer cases will be diagnosed in 2017 in the U.S. More information is available at www.pintsforprostates.org. Pints for Prostates also has a presence on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (@pints4prostates).
Company: Pints for Prostates
Contact: Rick Lyke