Staying in for Valentine’s Day? FCB Offers a Sweet Treat for Sweethearts
Whether you are cooking a homemade meal for that special someone or looking to put a fun twist on dessert, Fort Collins Brewery (FCB) has the perfect option for lovers of craft beer and sweets alike. Double Chocolate Stout, a roasty brew with a rich chocolate nose and coffee undertones is a delectable addition to cupcake batter. The result is a seductively smooth, chocolaty cake that will earn high marks for Valentine’s Day. Look for the decadent Double Chocolate Stout at participating liquor stores and start your Valentine’s Day off right.
FCB’s Old School Double Chocolate Stout Red Velvet Cupcakes:
For the cake (yields 18 – 24 cupcakes depending on pan size):
- ¼ cup Double Chocolate Stout
- 2 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 ½ cups sifted cake flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp distilled white vinegar
- 1 tsp baking soda
Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 lb room temperature butter (4 sticks)
- 1 lb cream cheese
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tbs vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, thoroughly whisk the Double Chocolate Stout, cocoa powder and vanilla.
- Add the shortening and sugar to a stand mixer and beat well until combined.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beat well between additions
- Add the beer mixture and salt, beat until well combined
- Mix in the flour and buttermilk (alternating) while the mixer is at low speed. Do not overbeat.
- In a separate small bowl, mix the baking soda and vinegar. Gently fold into the batter
- Distribute the batter evenly among the muffin cups, filling the cups the ¾ of the way full
- Bake for approximately 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
- For the frosting, use a mixer to combine the cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Add the powdered sugar in batches until well combined
- Cool on rack before applying frosting. Garnish with mint and berries (optional).
Fort Collins Brewery & Tavern is a family-owned, handcrafted microbrewery and full service tavern in Northern Colorado, established in 2003. FCB offers an outstanding lineup of 50 ales and lagers that can be found on tap as well as in bottles throughout the U.S. FCB is a 2015 GABF® Gold Medal Winner for Oktoberfest in the Dortmunder/German-Style Oktoberfest category. For more information, visit fortcollinsbrewery.com or call 970-472-1499. Brewery tours run Monday – Friday by appointment and Saturday from 12 – 4 p.m. (at the top of the hour). Create – Share – Savor
Company: Fort Collins Brewery (FCB)
Contact: Chea Franz