- 1 package of croissant dough (I prefer Wewalka as it’s GMO free)
- 4 oz of bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 cup of coffee stout
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- To make this bread pudding, bake the croissants according to package instructions. Cool and then cut into 1-inch triangle pieces.
- Change the oven temperature to 325°F for the rest of the cooking. Place croissant pieces on a baking tray and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes to dry out the bread. Then, transfer the bread pieces to an 8-inch square baking dish and pour the beer over the bread.
- Meanwhile, stir together the cream, scrapings from the vanilla bean, bean pod and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer and then remove from heat immediately, discarding the vanilla bean pod.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar. Gradually add the hot cream to the eggs while maintaining a continuous whisk to avoid scrambling the eggs.
- Tuck the chocolate into the bread. Pour the cream over the bread. Bake in a water bath for 35-40 minutes.