Craft Brewing Facts
- Craft brewers currently provide an estimated 360,000 jobs in the U.S., including serving staff in brewpubs.
- Growth of the craft brewing industry in 2014 was 18% by volume and 22% by dollar shares.
- Craft brewers sold an estimated 21,775,885 barrels of beer up from 16,600,000 barrels* in 2013.
- Retail dollar value from craft brewers in 2014 was estimated at $19.6 billion, up from $14.3 billion in 2013.
- Craft breweries have now averaged 10.9 percent growth over the last decade.
- 2,768 craft breweries operated for some or all of 2013, comprised of 1,237 brewpubs, 1,412 microbreweries and 119 regional craft breweries.
Other U.S. Brewing Industry Facts
- The number of operating breweries in the U.S. in 2013 totaled 2,822, with 2,768 of those considered craft, demonstrating that craft breweries make up 98 percent of all U.S. operating breweries.
- Overall U.S. beer sales were approximately 200,028,520 barrels and imported beer sales were 27,712,665 barrels in 2012.
- 2,822 total breweries operated for some or all of 2013, the highest total since the 1880s.
See full Infographic.
* 1 barrel = 31 U.S. gallons
Last updated on 3/19/2014