Cinco de Mayo is the perfect day to experience the Mexican-style lagers made by today’s American craft brewers. These craft beers honor the tradition of this Mexican style, while adding a few updates, which makes each beer distinct and special.
America’s craft brewers have jumped on board with the holiday and quite a few take the opportunity to highlight the rich history and flavors of the Mexican-style lager. The Mexican lager’s roots actually lie in Austria, and brewer Anton Dreher, who created the Vienna-style lager in 1836. The style was then brought to Mexico by Austrian brewers in the late 1800s. where it has continued to thrive.
This Cinco de Mayo, instead of grabbing a six-pack of the standard beers of the holiday, check out these American craft beers.
Craft Beers To Enjoy on Cinco de Mayo
- Mexican Logger | Ska Brewing Company | Durango, CO
- Summer Solstice Cerveza Crema | Anderson Valley Brewing Company | Boonville, CA
- Cerveza Vecino | Odell Brewing Co. | Fort Collins, CO
- Vienna Red Lager | Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant | Locations in PA & DE
- Vienna Lager | Chuckanut Brewery & Kitchen | Bellingham, WA
- Vienna Lager | Devil’s Backbone Brewing Company | Lexington, VA
- Vienna Lager | Squatters Pubs & Beers | Four locations in UT
Check your local brewery’s menu for special releases brewed for Cinco de Mayo!
Meghan Storey, the Brewers Association’s Web Editor, has been lucky enough to work in the world of craft beer for the past three years. She holds a degree in Print Journalism from the University of Mississippi, and has recently relocated to Nashville, TN. She loves to introduce friends to new craft beers and food pairings. Since beginning work on CraftBeer.com she can be found adding beer to just about everything she cooks.