3rd Annual City Star Brewing Flap Jack Day
The 3rd Annual City Star Brewing Flap Jack Day will be held on Labor Day, Monday, September 4th in downtown Berthoud. Join us for FREE flap jacks, a flap jack themed beer flight, vintage car show and the Flap Jack Queen contest. All donations will benefit the Berthoud Historical Society. Dress to impress as we step back into the fabulous 50’s!
Schedule of Events:
- 11am-6pm FREE flapjacks, whipped together from scratch by Diane Levy.
- 11am-6pm Visit the Berthoud Historical Society booth to learn a little more about Flap Jack Day and purchase your $1 commemorative pin.
- 3pm Flap Jack Queen Contest – be the very lady to finish 5 flapjacks! Visit citystarbrewing/flap-jack-queen-contest/ for additional information and contest registration.
- Register for the Flap Jack Queen Contest
- Become a Sponsor: contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Park your classic or vintage automobile in downtown Berthoud: contact email@example.com
- Volunteer to flip flap jacks: sign-up coming soon
In 1948 the Town of Berthoud created “Flap Jack Day” to be celebrated on Labor Day to bring neighbors together and visitors from afar to enjoy one of the simple pleasures in life… Flap Jacks.
From 1948 to 1958 the local Lions Club and Chamber of Commerce hosted Flapjack Day in Berthoud Town Park that drew hordes of people to “The Garden Spot.” On the first Flapjack Day (1948) an estimated 1,000 persons descended on Berthoud to devour 5,000 free pancakes. By 1949, The Berthoud Bulletin announced that 3,700 visitors from 21 states downed a whopping 7,400 flapjacks. Over its eleven-year span, Flapjack Day grew to include the crowning of a Flapjack Queen. spike-driving, swimming and diving contests, a baton twirling competition, pet-and-doll parades, a pig catching scramble, a tractor driving challenge. The last Flapjack Day was held in 1959 when the Chamber of Commerce decided to cancel; the event due to the high cost of hosting such a spectacle.
City Star Brewing brought this annual tradition back to life in 2015: giving away 1,000 flap jacks, raising $1,000 for the Berthoud Historical Society, and crowning the first Flap Jack Queen in 50 years – Caitlin Ascher.
Company: City Star Brewing