No Meat Athlete, a website devoted to sharing how a plant-based diet can make you faster, fitter and happier, shares a recipe for a risotto made with IPA and asparagus that's perfect for your next summer meal.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- large leek, halved, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp finely minced garlic
- 2 cups imported Arborio rice
- 3/4 cup IPA
- 7 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup thinly sliced asparagus
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Heat the vegetable stock in a saucepan over medium heat. Once it’s boiling, reduce to a simmer and keep it there.
- Heat the oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion, leek and garlic; stir frequently for about three minutes until just softened.
- Add the rice and a pinch of pepper, and stir frequently to toast the rice without letting it get brown. After about five minutes, you should hear the rice quietly squeak or whistle, your signal to begin adding liquid.
- Add the 3/4 cup IPA just after the rice starts to squeak, and make sure it's allowed to evaporate before any stock is added.
- Once the IPA has evaporated, add about 1.5-2 cups of the stock and stir constantly for a few minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed. You know it’s time to add more when you can run your spoon through the rice and see the bottom of the pan for a few seconds before the rice covers it again.
- Add one cup of the stock, stir for about 30 seconds, then add only often enough to prevent the rice from sticking to the pan. Once the liquid is absorbed, add another cup, stir for 30 seconds, and repeat the process until the rice is nearly al dente.
- After the rice has been cooking for about five minutes (after the initial amount of liquid is absorbed), steam the asparagus until crisp-tender (about five minutes) in a saucepan or microwave (I actually steamed them over the simmering vegetable stock).
- When the rice seems almost done or there’s only a cup of stock left, add the asparagus to the rice mixture with a cup of the stock (if the stock isn’t all used, it’s ok).
- Stir the rice and asparagus together for just a few minutes until the rice is al dente. Stir in the Parmesan, if using. Enjoy!