Chocolate lovers be warned, these brownies are moist, fudgy, and deeply chocolaty. If you're having trouble finding a coffee stout, substitute 2 ounces sweet stout mixed with 1 ounce brewed espresso.
- Butter for coating pan
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 4 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coffee stout
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts, such as macadamia, pecans, or walnuts (optional)
- To make these delicious fudge stout brownies, preheat oven to 325°F.
- Prepare a 9-inch metal baking pan by buttering it well and dusting inside with 1 tablespoon cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a large 2-quart saucepan, melt stick of butter over low heat until liquid.
- Add chopped chocolate, stirring often, until melted and smooth.
- Remove saucepan from heat and let cool to luke-warm (still liquid but not hot).
- Stir in sugars and mix well.
- Beat together 2 eggs, yolks, vanilla, stout and bourbon in a large measuring cup until smooth.
- Sift flour with salt.
- Stir stout mixture into saucepan by thirds, alternating with flour by 1/3 cupfuls, and batter is just blended. Stir in nuts if desired. Do not over-beat.
- Scrape batter into prepared 9-inch-square metal pan and bake at 325°F for about 1 hour.
- Let cool to lukewarm before slicing.
- Use a knife dipped in warm water and wipe clean with each slice. Otherwise, because of the very fudgy texture, the brownies will clump.