Perfect stout BBQ sauce for your summer-time grilling. This tasty sauce has some unique ingredients like Chocolate Ancho rub, molasses, brewed espresso and of course barrel-aged stout.
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons Chocolate Ancho Rub
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 12 ounces barrel-aged stout or dark ale
- 1/4 cup malt or cider vinegar
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce, preferably organic
- 1 ounce brewed espresso
- To make this stout bbq sauce, place olive oil, onion, and salt in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook stirring occasionally, until onions are caramelized.
- Add chocolate ancho rub and molasses, stir 30 seconds, then add beer to deglaze pan, whisking well.
- Add vinegar and tomato sauce, stir and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is reduced and thickened.
- When sauce is brown and thick, add espresso and remove from heat.
- When cooled to lukewarm, transfer sauce to a blender, cover with lid, and hold lid in place with a folded tea towel.
- Puree on high until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Use with brisket, or keep refrigerated in a resealable glass or nonreactive container.