The Brown Eyed Baker is back sharing her recipe for soft pretzel and beer caramels made with your favorite Pilsener for a salty sweet treat.
- To make these beer caramels, in a small saucepan, bring 1 cup of Pilsener to a simmer and cook until reduced and syrupy, about 20 minutes. This will yield about 1 teaspoon of concentrated beer flavoring. Set aside.
- Butter a 9x13-inch baking pan or two 9x9-inch pans. Combine the remaining beer, both sugars, the butter, heavy cream and corn syrup in a heavy 4 or 5-quart pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally. The butter will melt and the mixture will begin to boil.
- Continue to cook until a candy thermometer reaches 244°F (firm ball stage). When the correct temperature has been reached, stir in the Pilsener reduction and remove from the heat. Pour into the prepared pan(s) and top with the pretzel rods.
- Let cool for several hours or place in the refrigerator until firm. If refrigerated, let sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes. Remove the caramel block from the pan and place pretzel-side up on a cutting board. Cut wax paper into 5x5-inch squares and wrap caramels.
- Note: caramels must be wrapped or they will lose their shape.