Chef Leonardo Maurelli shares his recipe for steamed clams and mussels made with Back Forty Beer Co.'s summer seasonal, Peach Wheat.
- 1/2 lbs of fresh clams
- 1/2 lbs of fresh mussels
- 1/2 ea diced heirloom tomato
- 1/4 ea poblano pepper diced
- 1/4 ea red pepper diced
- 1/4 ea sweet onion
- 3 shaved garlic cloves
- 1 cup blanched field peas
- 1/2 cup diced smoked bacon
- 1 cup minced fresh garden herbs (thyme, basil, rosemary, oregano, parsley)
- 2 oz of extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- pinch crushed red pepper
- 3 to 4 threads of saffron (optional)
- 2 cups of wheat beer
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- To make these delicious mussels, preheat a sauté pan over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add extra virgin olive oil, shaved garlic, diced peppers, onions and smoked bacon.
- Sauté for 3 minutes and add clams. Deglaze sauté pan with Back Forty Beer Co's Paw Paw Peach Wheat. Add herbs and cover for 2 minutes.
- Remove cover and add chicken stock, mussels, diced heirloom tomatoes and field peas, season to taste with sea salt, crushed red pepper and black pepper and cover for another 3 minutes, or until clams and mussels are fully opened. Serve with grilled toast points.