These porter pudding cups are perfect for the kid at heart in all of us. The Oreos and gummy worms can definitely be shared with the kiddos too.
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 cup porter or chocolate stout
- 6 oz semisweet chocolate
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract or one vanilla bean, scrapped
- 18 Oreos/chocolate sandwich cookies
- gummy worms
- Combine cornstarch, sugar, and salt in the top of a double boiler (or a heatproof bowl or a medium pot) while off any heat source. Gradually whisk in porter and half & half; scrape bottom and sides to ensure all dry ingredients are throughly mixed together.
- Meanwhile, bring water to a simmer in bottom of double broiler.
- Place mixture from step one over simmering water; cook, whisking occasionally to prevent lumps from forming, until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- When mixture coats the back of a spoon and leaves a clear line after running finger across, it's properly thickened. Add chocolate; stir occasionally until fully melted, about 4 to 5 minutes. The pudding is ready when it’s thick and smooth. Remove from heat; add vanilla.
- If you’re anti-lumps, it's best to press pudding through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl. It’s amazing how many tend to sneak in there, even when the mixture is seemingly smoother than smooth.
- Do you like the skin that forms on simmering milk? If so, place plastic wrap over the bowl, leaving headspace between the pudding and the plastic. If not, gently press plastic wrap directly onto the top of the pudding and cover with a separate piece of plastic wrap to ensure its airtight.
- Place in refrigerator to chill for a minimum of 30 minutes, up to a few days.
- Prior to serving, place cookies in a resealable bag and use a rolling in to whack/crush/pulverize until the consistency of, well, dirt. Alternatively, use a food processor – but where’s the fun in that?
- To assemble, spoon pudding into an individual bowls until half full, top with a layer of crumbs; add more pudding, top with with additional crumbs and a couple of gummy worms.