Create these delicious chocolate stout red velvet cupcakes made with Fort Collins Brewery's Chocolate Stout for your sweetheart on Valentine's Day.
- 1/4 cup Double Chocolate Stout
- 2 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp distilled white vinegar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 lb room temperature butter (4 sticks)
- 1 lb cream cheese
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 4 Tbsp vanilla
- To make these red velvet cupcakes with stout, preheat oven to 350°F and line two muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, thoroughly whisk the Double Chocolate Stout, cocoa powder and vanilla.
- Add the shortening and sugar to a stand mixer and beat well until combined.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beat well between additions.
- Add the beer mixture and salt—beat until well combined.
- Mix in the flour and buttermilk (alternating) while the mixer is at low speed. Do not over beat.
- In a separate small bowl, mix the baking soda and vinegar. Gently fold into the batter
- Distribute the batter evenly among the muffin cups, filling the cups the ¾ of the way.
- Bake for approximately 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- For the frosting, use a mixer to combine the cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Add the powdered sugar in batches until well combined. Cool on rack before applying frosting.
- Garnish with mint and berries (optional).