Irish Stout Gingersnap CakeBy Boundary Bay Brewery
- Recipe TypeDessert
- Prep Time1 hour
A spicy cake, mellowed with the sumptuous chocolate tones of our Dry Irish Stout, coated with an intoxicating rum glaze and topped with warm caramelized apples.
- 1 cup Dry Irish Stout
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/2 Tbsp. baking soda
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup grapeseed or vegetable oil
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 Tbsp. grated, peeled fresh ginger
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9” round pan.
- In a large saucepan over high heat, combine the stout and molasses and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and add the baking soda. Allow to sit until the foam dissipates.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together the eggs and both sugars. Whisk in the oil.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, ground ginger, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and cardamom.
Combine the stout mixture with the egg mixture, then whisk this liquid into the flour mixture, half at a time. Add the fresh ginger and stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 1 hour or until the top springs back when gently pressed. Do not open the oven until the cake is almost done, or the center may fall slightly. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.