Irish Stout Gingersnap CakeBy Boundary Bay Brewery
- Recipe TypeDessert
- Prep Time1 hour
Irish stout gingersnap cake with sumptuous chocolate tones from the beer, coated with an intoxicating rum glaze and topped with warm caramelized apples.
- 1 cup dry Irish stout
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/2 Tbsp baking soda
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup grapeseed or vegetable oil
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 Tbsp grated, peeled fresh ginger
- To make this Irish stout gingersnap cake, preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9-inch round pan.
- In a large saucepan over high heat, combine the stout and molasses and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and add the baking soda. Allow to sit until the foam dissipates.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together the eggs and both sugars. Whisk in the oil.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, ground ginger, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and cardamom.
- Combine the stout mixture with the egg mixture, then whisk this liquid into the flour mixture, half at a time.
- Add the fresh ginger and stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 1 hour or until the top springs back when gently pressed.
- Do not open the oven until the cake is almost done, or the center may fall slightly. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.