Chef Emil Topel of Phoenix City, Alabama, uses the classic Sierra Nevada Pale Ale to make the dipping sauce for these spicy dumplings, winners in the Cooking with Beer Challenge sponsored by the National Beer Wholesalers Association.
Dipping Sauce12 ounces pale ale
Dumplings3 1⁄2 ounces shiitake mushrooms
Steaming Liquid36 ounces Pilsener or amber lager
- In small saucepan, make dipping sauce by bringing pale ale, ginger, and garlic to a boil and reducing liquid by half, about 5 or 6 minutes.
- Add chili sauce, brown sugar, and soy sauce, and bring to a slow boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and place in food processor fitted with metal chopping blade, along with Serrano or jalapeño.
- Pulse on high until minced.
- Stir pepper mixture in a bowl with remaining dumpling ingredients (except wontons) and refrigerate.
- Note: Turkey mixture may be frozen for later use or formed into patties for turkey burgers using pale ale dipping sauce as a glaze.