- 3 cups pretzels
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4-inch thickness
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup Dijon-style mustard
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Pretzel Crusted Chicken
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the pretzels until finely ground with a few larger pieces still remaining. In a shallow dish combine the pretzels and flour.
- Sprinkle chicken with pepper to taste and coat evenly with the mustard. Dredge the chicken with the pretzel mixture, pressing to adhere.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook until well browned all over and 165°F internal temperature, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Cheesy Beer Sauce
- Prepare sauce while the chicken is cooking. In a medium saucepan set over medium heat melt the butter.
- Add the flour and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gradually whisk in the Oktoberfest, milk, mustard, and thyme and bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring, until thickened.
- Add the cheddar cheese and heat until melted.
- Divide the chicken between four plates and spoon sauce over chicken.