- 2 large orange-fleshed sweet potatoes or Garnet yams
- olive oil to brush on the flesh
- 6 strips maple smoked bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup beer
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- freshly ground black pepper
- To make these sweet potatoes, preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil, for easy clean up. Wash potatoes and pat dry. Brush flesh with a little bit of olive oil. Place flesh side down on the prepared baking sheet.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add bacon. Cook, turning frequently, until browned and crisp, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper-toweled lined plate to drain. Cool completely. Chop finely, reserving one slice for garnish.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, remove from oven and cool for 5-10 minutes. Scoop out the flesh and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add sliced onions and brown sugar; stir occasionally, until the onions caramelize and turn a deep golden brown, about 10-12 minutes. Add beer and cook 2 minutes. Add maple syrup. Stir well and cook 3-4 minutes. Add roasted potatoes and bacon to skillet. Stir well.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper. Garnish with reserved bacon.