Java Porter CupcakesBy Tee & Cakes
- Recipe TypeDessert
- Prep Time30 minutes
- Yield24 cupcakes
Who doesn't love a cupcake? More importantly, a cupcake made with a delicious Porter reduction, making them perfectly moist and dense.
- 1 cup Porter or coffee Porter
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-process)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake cups with the prettiest liners possible!
- Bring 1 cup stout and 1 cup butter to simmer in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add cocoa powder and whisk until mixture is smooth. Cool slightly.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in large bowl to blend.
- Using electric mixer, beat eggs and sour cream in another large bowl to blend.
- Add stout-chocolate mixture to egg mixture and beat just to combine.
- Add flour mixture and beat briefly on slow speed. Using rubber spatula, fold batter until completely combined.
- Pour batter into prepared liners. Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 15 minutes.
- The cake is dense and needs a bit more time than your traditional cake mix.
- Ice with your favorite icing. Here are just a few icings that pair really nicely: peanut butter, salted caramel, cream cheese, chocolate ganache or chocolate mint.
- Learn more about the growing number of small, local bakers and confectioners who are turning to craft beer as a flavorful ingredient in their goods in "Cupcakes and Cookies and Craft Beer—Oh My!" by Lisa Morrison.