- Shred the block of cheddar cheese while still cold, coat it with the ¼ cup of flour and set aside. (Alternatively, if your cheddar was pre-shredded, measure out 3 cups, coat with flour and set aside)
- Add a pinch of salt to 4 quarts of water and bring it to a rolling boil. Add the black bean rotini (or alternative black colored macaroni).
- Cook for 7-8 mins. Drain the macaroni and return it to the pot. Coat with the olive oil. Serve in desired dish.
- While the pasta is cooking melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted, add the 2 tbsp of flour, the smoked paprika and the turmeric and gently stir to make a roux. The spices will lend a beautiful orange color. Adjust color tone as per your liking by adding an extra pinch of either paprika or turmeric.
- While continuing to stir the roux, gently add the pumpkin ale.
- Once the ale is incorporated remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Working in batches slowly add the flour coated shredded sharp cheddar. Stir it in gently as it melts.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Immediately transfer the pumpkin ale cheese sauce to a small serving dish and serve it beside the olive oil coated macaroni.
- Drizzle the sauce over the macaroni tableside for visual impact.