Moroccan Wheat Beer-Brined Duck BreastBy Leonardo Maurelli III
- Recipe TypeEntree
- Prep Timeday ahead prep
- Yield2 people
Incredibly juicy Moroccan spiced duck breast, that's brined in wheat beer and served with a light orange and candied ginger marinade.
- 1 or 2 duck breasts scored
- 2 cups of organic field greens
- 1/2 cup moroccan spice rub
- 1 orange
- 1/2 cup EVOO
- 2 pcs julienned candied ginger
- sea salt
- cracked pepper
- Moroccan spice rub
- 4 Tbsp ground nutmeg
- 4 Tbsp ground cumin
- 4 Tbsp ground coriander
- 2 Tbsp allspice
- 2 Tbsp ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp of cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp ground star anise
- 1 cup Kosher salt
- 1 cup of dark brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp whole pink peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups of water
- 4 cups of ice
- The spice rub can be made ahead and save excess for future uses. Basic brine can be made day ahead and placed in the refrigerator for later use. In a medium stock pot bring water, salt, sugar, peppercorns and bay leaves to a boil. Turn off add ice and place in the refrigerator to cool completely.
- Dry off excess moisture on duck breasts, score the fat on the duck breast. To score a duck breast cut into the fat of the duck in a diagonal straight line cut, turn breast 90° and cut again thus creating a diamond shape no bigger than 1/8".
- Use spice rub liberally coating duck breast completely, cover and place in the refrigerator for 4 to 6 hours. Remove cover from duck and place in a pot and cover with brine,to this basic brine add one full bottle of wheat beer, if you have to place a small plate on top to make sure it remains submerged do so. Allow to brine for 8 hours or better yet overnight!!!
- To remove duck from brine, rinse duck in the brine of any excess rub and place on a plate covered with paper towel to dry for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F While duck is resting remove the top and bottom parts of your orange and begin to segment the orange into pieces being careful to remove all membrane.
- To marinate orange, place in a bowl, drizzle with EVOO and a bit of salt and pepper. For the candied ginger, the amount you actually need for this recipe is so minute that I would suggest you purchase some rather than make it. Julienne 1 or 2 pieces of the candied ginger and set aside.
- Now that duck is rested and dried off from excess brine, heat a skillet over med-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes, place the duck breast fat side down first and allow to sear and render (allowing fat to melt) careful not to burn or over cook the meat.
- Once the fat is crispy, turn breast over and place in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, this should yield a perfectly medium-rare breast, if you want to cook it more , go ahead,but I do not recommend it.
- Remove duck from oven and let rest for a minute before slicing. Place the duck over organic field greens, place the marinated orange supremes over duck and sprinkle 5 to 6 pieces of the julienned candied ginger.