Barley Wine-Braised Short RibsBy CraftBeercom
- Recipe TypeEntree
- Prep Time1 hour
Create these tender, flavorful barley wine-braised short ribs accented with pomegranate and chillies. Can also be made with your favorite barrel-aged beer.
- 2 pounds boneless beef short ribs
- 2 Tbsp spicy rib rub seasoning blend, or salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 pound yellow onions, chopped
- 1/4 pound carrots, chopped
- 1/4 pound celery, chopped
- 1 large roasted pasilla chile, peeled, seeded, and chopped**
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 20 ounces unsweetened pomegranate juice
- 2 1/2 cups defatted chicken or veal stock
- 2 cups barley wine or barrel-aged strong ale
- 1 Tbsp of bourbon)
- 1 Tbsp salted butter
- 1/4 pound yellow onion
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- Reserved and strained, skimmed braising liquid from ribs
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 Tbsp minced chives
- 1/4 cup roasted corn kernels
- Trim excess fat from short ribs and rub with beef rub seasoning, or sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place a large cast iron pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, and add canola oil. When oil is hot, sear ribs on all sides until well browned. Remove ribs and reserve on plate. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Turn heat to low and add onion, carrots, celery, and chile to pot. Cook and stir until onion turns golden. Add garlic and deglaze with balsamic vinegar. Add pomegranate juice and stock. Scrape any browned bits from bottom of pan.
- Add beer and bring to a simmer. Add ribs and submerge in liquid. Cover with a lid or a double layer of foil, crimped tight around edges of pan, and bake for 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove ribs from oven and carefully drain off pan juices; set juices aside to let fat rise to the surface. Set ribs on a large warmed platter, cover and keep warm. Skim off and discard fat; drain juices.
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter and sauté onions until caramelized. Stir in tomato paste and cook until browned. Add skimmed sauce from ribs and reduce over medium heat until sauce is thickened and coats back of spoon, about 30 minutes.
- Arrange ribs on platter, add sauce to taste. Garnish with mixture of pomegranate seeds, chives and roasted corn kernels.