Tröegs Brewing Co.'s Mad Elf Ale, brewed with cherries, honey and chocolate malts, serves as the perfect backdrop for this rich and hearty reindeer stew.
- Season the reindeer cubes with salt and pepper, toss lightly in flour.
- Heat a large dutch oven on the stove.
- Melt butter to brown the meat in small batches and set aside.
- Add turnips, parsnips and pearl onions. Cook five minutes using the vegetables to get the brown bits off the pan.
- Use one bottle of Mad Elf Ale to fully deglaze pan.
- Return meat to pan and stir to incorporate.
- Add a bay leaf and a sprig of thyme.
- Add remaining beers to cover the stew just barely.
- Bring up to simmer, cover and cook very gently for 1-1.5 hours, or until meat is tender.
- Remove from heat, remove bay leaf and thyme.
- Stir in dry cherries and honey and place in refrigerator until next day.
- To reheat, warm gently on the stove and serve with your favorite mashed potatoes.
- Don’t forget to garnish with a cherry for Rudolph’s nose!