A traditional Flemish dish from Ghent, Belgium, it may be prepared for everyday dinners with chicken, and as a splurge, with shellfish.
- To make Belgian Chicken Waterzooi, put butter and olive oil in a large Dutch oven or stockpot and place over medium heat until the butter bubbles.
- Add chicken and stir. Let chicken brown 3 minutes, then reduce heat to low.
- Add shallots and cook 3 minutes.
- Add sliced leeks and fennel, and cook 3 minutes or until leeks turn soft.
- Add carrots, celery, potatoes, stock, beer, bay leaves, thyme, and cream, bringing mixture to a simmer. Cover and cook 25 to 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender. Do not bring to a boil, just a light simmer, or cream will curdle.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
- Ladle Waterzooi into warm bowls and garnish with parsley.