Beer-Glazed Black BeansBy Casa: Cheese, Wine, Food
- Recipe TypeSide Dish
- Prep Time25 minutes
The days are getting longer and the foods of summer are starting to appear. You're spending more of your time outside and less in the kitchen. These black beans make an excellent quick side dish for your next Mexican-inspired meal.
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 cup brown ale
- 3 cups cooked or canned black beans, drained but moist, liquid reserved
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- To make these bear-glazed black beans, place olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- When hot, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cook for about 1 minute, then add the brown ale, beans, chili powder, honey and some salt and pepper. If you are going to add tomatoes, do so at this step.
- Bring to a steady bubble and cook until the liquid is slightly reduced and thickened, about 15 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve immediately. The black beans can also be stored in the refrigerator up to 3 days.