Blueberry Stout French ToastBy Ales Kitchen
- Recipe TypeEntree
- Prep Time15 minutes
Beer and breakfast in the morning? Sure, why not!? This sweet breakfast of french toast with a warm blueberry stout compote pairs perfectly with your favorite coffee stout.
- French Toast
- 1 loaf crusty Italian bread (sliced into 1in. thick pieces)
- 1 cup stout
- 1/2 cup milk
- A good splash of heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2-3 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2-3 tbsp butter (more as needed)
- Whipped cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Maple syrup
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup stout
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Juice of 1 lemon
Beer and breakfast in the morning? Sure, why not? Pair this warm, sweet breakfast with a good coffee stout.
- Beer and breakfast in the morning? Sure, why not!? Pair the warm, sweet breakfast with a good coffee stout.
- To start, break out a small saucepan and place on range on medium heat. Add 1 cup blueberries, stout, sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice. Stir and cook for 10 minutes. Add in the other cup of blueberries. Stir and cook another 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low and keep warm.
- In meantime, heat oven to 200°F and set a casserole dish inside. Place a large skillet on medium-high on range. In a shallow dish mix the stout, milk, cream, sugar, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Place the sliced bread in the dish to soak up the batter/custard. Flip and coat other side. Melt butter in the hot skillet. Place bread in skillet, cooking in batches, and cook 2-3 minutes per side. Place the cooked french toast in the dish in the oven to keep warm while attending to the rest.
- To assemble, place one slice of toast on the plate. Spread some whipped cream cheese on top. Place another piece of toast on top of that. Spoon the blueberry stout compote over the top. Dust with a little powdered sugar and have some maple syrup ready if wanted.