- Recipe TypeEntree
- Prep Time30 minutes
Beer-braised lamb shanks done in a slow cooker is an easy, warm and savory recipe for a cold day. Pair with your favorite Belgian-style quadrupel, porter or scotch ale.
- 5 lbs lamb shanks
1.5 tsp dried oregano
1.5 tsp dried rosemary
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
6-8 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup beef stock or chicken stock
1 1/4 cup Ommegang Three Philosophers Belgian Strong Ale
Canola oil for browning meat
Sauce 2 Tbsp butter
2 cups of broth
1/4 cup dried cherries
- To make these lamb shanks, mix all the spices and herbs together (except garlic). Heat large skillet or dutch oven to med-high heat. Rub lamb.
- In batches, toss shanks into the pan and brown lamb on all sides. Transfer to crock pot when done.
- Rub garlic into the lamb. Gently pour the stock and quadrupel over lamb. Set crock pot on low for 7-8 hours.
- When done, gently take out lamb with some tongs and place in a dish. Cover with foil and set aside.
- Pour stock back in the pan used to brown the meat. Turn to medium heat. Add butter and cherries. Reduce for about 20min or add some cornstarch to thicken up faster.
- Pour sauce all over lamb. Serves with greens and potatoes, or couscous or noodles.