- 6 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 6 slices nitrate-free bacon, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups uncooked Arborio rice
- 12 oz of beer
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1.5 cups (6 oz) 2% reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- To make this bacon risotto, pour broth into a medium pan and set over medium heat; bring to a gentle simmer and reduce heat to low.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped bacon and cook 4-5 minutes or until browned; remove bacon with a slotted spoon to a plate or bowl lined with paper towel and dispose of all but 2 tablespoons of bacon grease, return to flame.
- Add onion to the skillet and cook 4-5 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and stir; cook 30-60 seconds or until fragrant. Stir in the Arborio rice and cook 2-3 minutes or until just beginning to brown. Add beer and stir; cook several minutes or until beer is absorbed.
- Working ½ cup at a time, add the hot chicken broth to the skillet and stir often, allowing rice to simmer and slowly absorb broth. Continue adding broth in small increments and until rice is fully cooked and tender, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese, and cayenne pepper; stir until melted and well-combined. Remove risotto from heat and serve hot.