Steamed mussels are delicious any time of year, and Chef Seth Lassak from Wolf's Ridge Brewing in Columbus shares one of his favorite ways to bring beer into the picture.
- 6 oz Olive oil
- 10 oz Spanish onion
- 4 oz Garlic
- 8 oz Dry Cured Chorizo
- 4 lbs Big One Maine Mussels
- 16 oz Driftwood IPA from Wolf's Ridge Brewing
- 12 oz Butter
- 1 oz Italian Parsley
- 1 each Baguette
- 4 each Lemon
- Kosher Salt, Pepper, Himalayan Pink Salt to taste
- Put ice in the large bowls. Put mussels on ice. This will keep them cold while cleaning. Using the shellfish brush scrub both sides of each mussel. Using cold water, rinse away any sand or dirty areas. Locate the beard of the mussel, pluck it out and discard. Reserve clean mussels in the other large bowl with ice. Store in refrigerator until needed. Peel and slice the Spanish onions. Peel and mince the garlic. Thinly slice the chorizo. Small dice the butter. Wash, dry, and chop the Italian parsley. Cut the baguette on an extreme bias, about half inch thick, to get 5 to 6 inch long pieces. Wedge the lemons. Reserve preparation for cooking.
- Place the rondo on medium heat. Add 4 oz of olive oil to rondo. Add sliced onions and garlic immediately. Season lightly. Stir using tongs. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the chorizo. Stir. Cook 2 more minutes. Add the mussels to rondo. Turn heat to high. Stir constantly for 2 minutes. Add beer to pan and put the lid on. Cook for about 4-6 minutes. Stir every minute and put lid back on each time. While mussels are cooking you can grill the baguette slices. Char on both sides and reserve for plating. Once mussels start to open, remove lid. Start adding the butter. Stir to emulsify the butter into the sauce. Sprinkle in parsley and stir. Season with kosher salt and black pepper. Taste. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Using the tongs place approximately one pound of mussels in each serving bowl. Use the ladle to pour the remaining broth over each serving bowl, evenly distributing. Garnish each dish with lemon wedges and grilled baguette. Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the baguette and mussels. Finish with a sprinkle of Himalayan salt. Driftwood Steamed Mussels are ready to serve.
- Recommended to serve with Wolf's Ridge Brewing's Driftwood Session IPA.