- 2 pounds trimmed, skinless chicken tenderloins
- 1 medium white or yellow onion
- ¾ cup beer (a refreshing, Mexican-style lager works well)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- (2) 10-ounce cans of diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 14.5-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- (2) 6-ounce cans of tomato paste
- Limes or lime juice to taste
- Place chicken in the slow cooker.
- Peel and dice the onion, then add it to the slow cooker
- Pour the beer into a vessel and stir in chili powder, cumin and garlic powder.
- Cover chicken and onion mixture with beer and spice mix.
- Drain tomato and chili mixture slightly before adding to the slow cooker.
- Open and lightly drain excess liquid from the tomatoes. Add them to the slow cooker. (Some liquid is fine.)
- Stir so that everything in the pot is evenly covered by liquid.
- Cook on high for four hours or low for eight hours, stirring about halfway through. Shred the chicken with a fork 30 minutes before serving.
- Add two cans of tomato paste and stir well.
- Continue to cook on low so that the chicken can absorb tomato paste and additional juices.